Thursday, January 31, 2008

Olympic Skiing

As part of the Olympic tour (Athens, and now Sarajevo) I headed to Sarajevo, Bosnia for a weekend of skiing. It is pretty amazing that I can go to BOSNIA for a weekend, as it is a quick 40 minute flight.

I arrived in Sarajevo to find an incredibly interesting, diverse city with history bursting from it's seams. Driving from the airport to Stari Grad (old town) we drove through "Sniper Alley" of the 1990's. Apparently, the Serbs would hide out on the nearby ridges and pick off Bosnians as they walk down the road. There are still bullet holes in many buildings that show the destruction that occured during the recent wars. In the center of town, you find Mosques next to Orthodox and Catholic churches and a huge Turkish influence making for a fantastic time wandering the streets.

After exploring Sarajevo for a day, I headed to Jahorina, the nearby ski hill and location of the 1984 Winter Olympics. While Jahorina lacked new snow, it was great to stay up on the ski hill and enjoy the mountains for the weekend. Again, people looked at me like I was crazy as I telemark skied. Apparently it is not the most popular sport in this part of the world.

Monday morning, I took an incredibly early flight back to Belgrade, just in time for work. Unfortunately, I still do not have a camera, so there is no documentation of the trip.

No comments: