Friday, September 7, 2007

Zlatibor or Bust!

Life in Belgrade is becoming somewhat routine. I can now ride a bus everywhere I need to go (and actually usually make it there), I can generally order food that I enjoy in restaurants, and I still can't speak Serbian! It has gotten quite a bit cooler here (maybe 50's although I am not sure because I don't get Celsius), but I very much enjoy the cooler weather even though I no longer see naked men at the beach on my runs.
We have been climbing with a local climbing club a bit at a place very near my house (very near is less than a mile). It apparently used to be one of Tito's summer theaters, and the cut they did into the earth provides for six or eight climbing routes along with some bouldering. It is a great afterschool activity, and fun to hang out with Serbians!

School is as always going well, although sometimes I have to ask my kids to call out so that I feel like I am really teaching. I'm not used to having such polite kids, and so few! An interesting thing I have started to notice is that the foreign hires (me) at my school are by far the least qualified. From what I understand, Belgrade has around 20% unemployment, which means ISB hires incredible locals. Some have law degrees and masters degrees in engineering. Even our aides and receptionists all are college educated, and many of them have teaching credentials. All of this, and the local teachers still make 40% less than I do and don't get their living paid for... equitable right?

This afternoon, two coworkers and I are headed south and west to get out of the city and go for a few hikes. Hopefully the buses work... it should be about a 3-4 hour ride to Zlatibor. I am excited to see a different area of Serbia, and to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city!

No comments: