Monday, September 3, 2007

Market Mania

I have now been teaching for a full week (hence the no "blogging") and have been enjoying myself with wonderful students. I teach four classes, two sixth and two seventh, with between 9 and 13 students in each class. I end up having students call out a lot because it is too quiet in the room. Sixth graders are quite the joy as they are very excited to be given their math books and their first homework assignments. What happens to them by eighth grade?

After my first week with students, I ventured farther from Senjak (the upscale neighborhood that I live in) than I have in the past. There is a charming town, Zemun, that has become a suburb of Belgrade but retains its small town feel. In Zemun, there is a huge market with all sorts of vegetables and goods. I decided to start on my house plant collection (forgetting that I would be bringing it all back on the bus). A coworker and I spent the entire day milling around the town, and walking along the river (there is lots of water in Belgrade). In all an enjoyable day.

For Saturday night, we headed downtown, trying to find the underground scene in Belgrade we have heard so much about. After finally finding the black gates to an apartment complex, we were buzzed into a dark hall. We searched until we finally found the door of the Federal Association of World Travellers, a hot night spot. Unfortunately, there was a private party, so we had a late dinner and called it a night. Apparently, we are not hip to the local goings on yet--next weekend a local coworker has promised to show me some local spots.






No comments: